Chester Tourism / Experience / Must See Monuments, Memorials & More

Must See Monuments, Memorials & More

Municipality of Chester

"Monuments are the grappling-irons that bind one generation to another."

Joseph Joubert

You'll find marvellous monuments all over the Municipality of Chester - some in tribute to those who lived greatly, some to those who died bravely, others in tribute to the tremendous spirit of a soul who lived and will always be remembered fondly.  All of them are worth seeing and appreciating for they all represent a very important part of the fabric that makes up our history and our heritage.

Swiss Air Flight 111 Memorial and Final Internment Site.

This must see monument was created in memory of all 229 people on board who perished on September 2, 1998 when Swissair Flight 111 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean southwest of Halifax Stanfield International Airport at the entrance to St. Margaret’s Bay. The crash site was 8 km / 5 mi from the shore, not far from the small fishing village of Bayswater and was a site of the recovery operation following the crash.  You'll find this right beside Bayswater Beach Provincial Park along Hwy 329 in Bayswater

 

Monument to Rear Admiral Desmond William Piers

Rear Admiral Piers was a lifelong serviceman, serving in the Royal Canadian Navy from 1932 to 1967. For courageous service in the Battle of the Atlantic he received the Distinguished Service Cross. Born in Halifax on June 12, 1913 and raised in the town of Chester, he passed away on November 1, 2005 in Halifax after a distinguished navy career. His career, both in the navy and afterward, is outlined in detail on his memorial.   You'll find this monument at the corner of Queen & South Street in the Seaside Village of Chester.  For more click here.

 

Chester War Memorial

This magnificent statue of a Nova Scotia Highland soldier was unveiled on August 4, 1922. Constructed in memory of 54 men who laid down their lives from this area in World War I. The design and cast were the gift of the famous Scottish sculptor, J. Massey Rhind. The Plaque and Bronze Figure were cast in New York. The base and steps of the Monument were cut from one granite boulder by Wakefield Zinck. This monument can be found at Parade Square in the Seaside Village of Chester. For more click here

 

The Jibb Lot

In June of 1990 the Commission, on behalf of the citizens of the Village of Chester, gratefully received a bequest from the Estate of Clarissa Anderson Gibbs. The gifts of a parcel of land and a water lot are on the Back Harbour in front of the house where Mrs. Gibbs spent her summers. Mrs. Gibbs' father, Dr. Andrew Anderson of St. Augustine, Florida, built the house you see in the photograph in 1905. It is now the permanent residence of Dr. Anderson's great-grandson. Over the years, the property came to be known as the Jib Lot because the shape of the property line is like a boat's triangular staysail, or jib.

On the Victoria Street side of the Jib Lot, one will see a handsome monument erected by the Chester Volunteer Fire Department, memorializing the firefighters who have served the Village of Chester and Area well, since 1936. The monument was commissioned by the CVFD, dedicated on October 9, 1994, and is maintained by the CVFD using monies donated to the CVFD Memorial Fund.. You'll find the Jibb Lot on Victoria Street in the Seaside Village of Chester. For more information click here.

 

Chester Basin War Monument

Constructed in 1976 in memory of Everett Borgald and engraved with the following "WE WILL REMEMBER THEM" In Proud and Affectionate Remembrance Dedicated to the Glory of God and to those from Chester Basin Who paid the Supreme Sacrifice. You can find this monument at the Chester Basin Royal Canadian Legion. For more information click here.

 

Norway Monument

Constructed May 28, 1994 in memory of the Norwegian Royal Merchant Navy and Army who recuperated in Chester during World War II. During the Second World War members of the Royal Norwegian Navy and Merchant Navy as well as the Royal Norwegian Army, trained in Nova Scotia at camp Norway, Lunenburg, and some training camps "somewhere" on the east coast of Canada. They had their rest recuperation centres in Chester and in Liverpool they worked in ship repair. In May 1994, veterans from the Norwegian Merchant Navy, Royal Norwegian Navy and Royal Norwegian Army gathered for a full week in Nova Scotia for a Camp Norway Memorial and Reunion. While there, they unveiled several monuments to commemorate their war time stay in Nova Scotia and to thank the Village of Chester, the Town of Lunenburg and the Town of Liverpool for their hospitality and support during this period. This monument can be found at Parade Square in the Seaside Village of Chester. For more on this monument click here

 

New Ross War Memorial

The monument is the first monument to be erected in Nova Scotia to honour those who served their country in World War One. It was erected to honour ex-soldiers who settled New Ross (then Sherbrooke) as well as those who served in World War One. Originally the base stone was placed at the village crossroads on August 28, 1917. The finished or polished stones and crown were placed on the base in the fall of 1918. In 1959, the Monument/Cenotaph was moved from its original site to its present location on the grounds of the New Ross Canadian Legion, Branch#79. You'll find this monument at the New Ross Royal Canadian Legion.  For more information click here

 

Armillary Sphere

For many years, the Parade area was used as a playing field but, eventually, changes in the roadway created a new garden space separate from the memorial (Cenotaph) itself. Members of the Garden Club planted rugosa roses, shrubbery and perennials and, although the land is owned by the Municipality, the Club has continued the tradition of feeding, weeding and pruning this island bed ever since. Originally designed in the style of a Victorian garden, the garden was re-formed in 1980 based on designs drawn up by long-time Club member Ruby Pulsiver. A striking feature of the garden is the Armillary Sphere – a metal sculpture made of rings of concentric circles that indicate the relative positions of the celestial bodies. Designed by a Harvard astronomer, it was a gift to the Club by two summer residents who were members of the Club. The plaque reads GEODETIC SURVEY which is a land survey with corrections made to account for the curvature of the earth's surface. This monument can be found at Parade Square in the Seaside Village of Chester.

 

SEA BEYOND Tree of Life

There was a big old and all but departed tree right in front of the post office  in the Seaside Village of Chester. With the deep roots firmly planted and widely spread – to have it removed would be costly and painstaking. Chester was stumped with what to do with this 'stump' until Dolly Hancock and a few other citizens suggested giving the tree a “Second Life” with the help of Dartmouth born, Big Tancook Island based wildlife sculptor Adam Connolly. After about 50 days (350 hours worth) of peeling, cutting, sawing, sanding and all other means of creating... a masterpiece now stands proudly for all to see.  For more on this beautiful creation and the sculpter behind it click here.

This site is powered by 100% renewable energy